I always write posts about the thing that has been on my mind the most lately, and so today’s post is about love and relationships.
If you don’t know, I’ve been single for three years and have dated but never found myself in a relationship. Yes, some may say I have chosen the wrong guys to be around but for me, I have a strong intuitive feeling, and if something is not worth pursuing, then I wont pursue it.
None of us should waste time on people that we don’t feel will add something to our lives.
I am very lucky that my parents have so much love between them, they have shown my siblings and I how great love can be. They inspired me to never settle for something less than that.
After recently meeting someone very amazing, that I can see a great future with, I decided to share with you all the six things I believe are key to a successful relationship. They are inspired by my parents amazing relationship, plus my own life experience.
- Your partner should challenge you. He/she should encourage you to become a better person and inspire to go for what you want. If you don’t know what you want, your partner should make you feel as though, with their love, you are able to discover just what it is.
- You should be able to grow together. I believe we continuously grow in life, every single day, if we choose to. You should find someone that wants to continue growing and not just remain stuck in the same place. Not only should they seek growth in their own life, but also growth in the life you create together,
- You should want your children to be like your partner. If you can look at your partner and think “He/she would make an amazing father/mother”, then to me, that’s love. You should love the qualities they have, the person they are and the person they are becoming.
- You each should have your own projects. As much as creating a life together and being together is important, you both have different interests and need to pursue these projects individually in order to make the projects you pursue together successful.
- Your partner should be the only person you want (and you should be the only person they want). Working on your relationship and doing what it takes to keep the other happy is so important. Even if you both get attention from other people, I once read a quote which I think sums this up nicely: “It doesn’t matter who wants me, I only want you”.
- You should fall in love with them over and over again. A great partner is someone who can continue to do things to make you smile, even 20 years down the track. Your relationship should always be a priority, no matter how busy life gets.
If you are yet to find great love, do what it is that you love, and you will find by focusing on yourself and bettering yourself, you will attract the right kind of people.
If you are currently on a love journey, enjoy it, put time and effort into it and it may just become one of the greatest love stories of all time.
And for those of you that have already found it, hold onto it, cherish it and preach it. Not enough people believe in great love these days, so remind everyone that it does exist.
Lots of love,